Booking at Public Venues - step-by-step guide
A step-by-step guide covering everything from booking exams to receiving results.
- Create your account if you don’t have one already.
- Check booking periods and exam sessions.
- Have all your candidate information ready:
- Name - as it should appear on the mark form and certificate. This must exactly match the name on any candidate ID document needed for the exam. Find out about candidate ID.
- Date of birth
- ABRSM Contact ID – for candidates who have been entered before using our new online service.* Find out about Contact IDs.
- Subject and grade or level
- Any specific needs access requirements or reasonable adjustments
- Any alternative ‘presented by’ name
- Email address for the candidate (or parent/carer) – optional for Public Venue bookings. Find out why we ask for a candidate email address.
* For candidates in China, Hong Kong, Macao, Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan you will need their National ID number, not their ABRSM Contact ID.
- Log in and select ‘Public Venues & Remote Exams’.
- Select your ‘territory’ and then choose ‘Practical exams’ or ‘Music Theory exams’.
- For Practical exams choose ‘exam room’.
- For Music Theory exams choose ‘paper’.
- Enter your exam details, including any access requirements or reasonable adjustments.
- Choose a venue and a date. (A choice of date is only available for instrumental and singing exams.)
- Enter your candidate details.
- Check your booking summary and pay for your exams.
- We will send you an email to confirm your booking and payment.
Make sure all details are correct before confirming and paying for your exams. You cannot go back and make changes once you have submitted your booking.
- Appointment confirmation – around two weeks after the booking period has closed, we email applicants (and candidates with an account) to let them know that they can log in to view confirmed exam appointments, including times for instrumental and singing exams.
- Rescheduling - at this point applicants (and candidates with an account) can log in to reschedule instrumental and singing exams, subject to availability. Find out about rescheduling.
- Cancelling an exam – applicants can cancel an exam through their account. If you cancel within 14 days of booking we refund the full fee. Find out about cancelling exams.
- Amending a booking - you cannot change exam or candidate details once you’ve paid for the booking. However, we can make some small changes for you. Find out about amending candidate details.
- Results and certificates - we email applicants when results are ready to view online. This is usually within a week of the exam for instrumental and singing exams and around four weeks after the exam for paper-based Music Theory exams, subject to quality assurance checks.
Candidates with an account will also receive a results email seven days after the applicant.
We send certificates to the applicant by post. Find out about results and certificates.
- Appeals and feedback – our policies and guidance for appealing results or sending feedback are available here.