This book, for teachers and learners alike, contains practice examples of the tests and is ideal for use when preparing for a Singing for Musical Theatre Practical exam.
Recorded accompaniment pilot – from November 2022 until April 2023, candidates taking a Singing for Musical Theatre Practical Grade in the UK and Ireland can choose to sing their accompanied songs with a recorded accompaniment instead of live piano accompaniment. This is a pilot scheme to help us decide whether to offer this option in the future. Find out more.
隆重推出新考试 Singing for Musical Theatre 第1-3级。
- 2019年1月——可在全球范围内参加Singing for Musical Theatre考试。
Why take an ABRSM exam?
Our syllabuses have been developed carefully to suit the different needs and progressive goals of musical theatre singers. The exams connect progress, achievement and motivation, so you can take to the stage with confidence.
Enjoy singing a wide range of songs from different styles and dramatic contexts, selected by industry experts.
From Gershwin to Sondheim, Broadway to Disney, our syllabuses are regularly refreshed so we can include the latest showstopping songs that span the world of musical theatre across stage and screen.
Have a goal to practise towards and receive constructive feedback from highly qualified examiners.
Receive an internationally recognised qualification, and develop skills that sit at the heart of every musical performance.
Our Singing for Musical Theatre exams are a singing assessment, available in two formats:
- Performance Grades - Grades 1–8 - Pre-recorded exams suitable for singers who want to focus on building skills for a sustained performance
- Practical Grades – Grades 1–8 - Live exams suitable for singers who want to build a variety of industry skills
“The Singing for Musical Theatre syllabus provides a great opportunity for young singers to perform, learn, experiment, practise and most importantly have fun. The syllabus provides many challenges with style, expression, acting through song, varying vocal qualities and techniques. The lists offer a variety of choices and encourage the discovery of new repertoire.” Rachel Lyske, Brit School teacher and ABRSM consultant.
“As with the development of all our syllabuses, we have taken great care to create a clear, well-structured progressive pathway through the assessment of this popular genre. Singing for Musical Theatre exams are new to ABRSM’s exam offer, and new in terms of what’s available out there, but familiar in terms of what we do best - providing reliable milestones of musical achievement, marked according to solid, well-established principles.” ABRSM Chief Examiner, John Holmes.
Take centre stage!
Remotely-assessed exams that are all about performance
Available at Grades 1 to 8.
This exam offers an exciting opportunity for you to explore a variety of songs through a sustained performance.
为什么要参加Singing for Musical Theatre考试？
““全新的Singing for Musical Theatre考纲为年幼的学生提供绝佳机会，让他们表演、学习、练习，以及最重要的 —— 享受乐趣。考纲曲目在多个方面充满挑战，包括曲风、表达、通过歌曲表演、不同的声乐素质和技巧等。曲目列表提供了各种选择，鼓励学生探索新曲目。”” Rachel Lyske 英国学校老师和ABRSM 顾问。.
参与我们全新的Singing for Musical Theatre（音乐剧声乐考试），演唱自己喜爱的歌曲，同时培养音乐剧技能，让你在排练、试音和演出现场大显身手。在这一过程中，你还将收获宝贵的相关技能——不仅在音乐创作方面，也包括生活方面。
“和研发其他考纲一样，我们以极为谨慎的态度对这个音乐体裁进行评估，从而创造出清晰、完善、循序渐进的学习途径。Singing for Musical Theatre是ABRSM的新考试，这个‘新’是相对于现有考试科目的‘新’，而从ABRSM的长项来讲,则是大家熟悉的——以行之有效的原则评分，为学生的音乐成长奠定坚实的基础、为他们的音乐成就提供可靠的里程碑。”
Assessed entirely from recordings, Performance Grades can take place at home, at school or in a community setting.
Record your performance at any time, in a place of your choice, and submit it for assessment when you are ready.
Find more information about Performance Grades in our syllabus and qualification specifications.
Build industry skills
Live exams that that help you flourish as an all-round performer.
Available at Grades 1–8.
Sing the songs you love, while developing musical skills that will help you flourish in rehearsal, audition and performance situations.
- Accompanied songs: Choose one accompanied song from each list – A, B and C. This is an opportunity to show the range of characters you can express, acting through song. Having live accompaniment from the piano in the exam mirrors usual practice for concerts and auditions, and interacting with the pianist is another important musical skill you build here.
- Unaccompanied song: You will need to choose a 1–2 minute (Grades 1–5), or 1–3 minute (Grades 6–8) section of a marked song from the song lists in the syllabus. Singing unaccompanied (a cappella) is a great way to train your musical ear, and really helps with singing in tune and building your confidence. It’s also great preparation for auditions and your chance to shine solo!
Being able to sight-read unfamiliar music is a skill that every singer needs. It helps you to join in more easily, learn things more quickly and access all kinds of music for yourself. It could help you to step into a new role at short notice, access session work and much more.
- Sight-singing: The examiner will give you a short piece of music that you haven’t seen before - written in attractive, accessible Musical Theatre styles with optional words in English. Each short piece starts with a piano introduction, you will have half a minute to try it out, before you sing it with the examiner playing the accompaniment.
Aural helps you to feel a pulse, keep in time and understand harmonies and melody lines. These are important skills when you have to pick up tunes quickly with limited rehearsal time. Musical theatre singers are often very strong in this area and our tests give you the chance to demonstrate that.
- Aural tests: The examiner will deliver a series of tests from the piano designed to develop your musical ear. You will be asked to respond by singing, clapping and answering questions about the music you hear.
Repertoire and apps to support learning
Discover our show-stopping repertoire books at Grades 1–5, along with digital apps to support practice.
Aural Tests, Grades 6–8, from 2022
Songbooks for Grade 1-5
Featuring songs from Grade 1 - 5 of the Singing for Musical Theatre syllabus.
Sight singing book for Grades 1-3
Practice material for candidates preparing for our Singing for Musical Theatre exams at Grades 1-3.
SfMT Practice Partner
Our new SfMT Practice Partner app gives you all of the features found in the Practice Partner series! All 60 piano accompaniments from The ABRSM Singing for Musical Theatre Songbooks for Grades 1 to 5 are available as in-app purchases.
Sight-Singing, Grades 6–8, from 2022
This book contains valuable practice material for candidates preparing for ABRSM’s Singing for Musical Theatre Practical exams at Grades 6–8.
Aural Tests for Grades 4 & 5
This book contains practice examples of the Aural tests and is ideal for use when preparing for a Singing for Musical Theatre Practical exam.
A practice tool that allows you to vary the speed of audio without altering the pitch.